Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Queen of Reading!

The other night I went with my mom to a poetry group and we helped judge a poetry contest. Now I did not know that that’s what we were going to be doing but it was cool anyway. My mom and me where judging poems by children in grades k-3. Some of the poems where very well written and portrayed a very crisp image. The topics of the poems were peace and while some of the entries where obviously rushed and simple, others where very detailed and portrayed raw emotion, well as much raw emotion a 5 year old can have, at least. For example there was this one poem about a boy, and how happy he was that his father was home from Iraq. He talked about how just being with his father, and watching American idol together was (to him at least) what peace really stands for. There was one poem that really stuck out to me. It was about a girl who loved reading. It was called “The Queen of Reading.” I wish I had written it down so I could recite it here, but alas I did not. I might be going to the poetry reading, where the winners of the poetry contest will read there poems, so I might be able to snag a copy of the poem when I go to that.

On another note, my brother told me to watch the movie “Funny Games” and after watching the trailer I was sold. Without thinking I started the movie in front of my mother and watched almost the whole movie. Boy if I had known it was going to be more violent than the trailer led on I would not have watched in front of her. So the movie is about a couple and there son on vacation and these two guys come out of nowhere and basically terrorize them. Now it does portray the violence pretty tastefully, but I'm certain A LOT of people wouldn't like this movie. I think some viewers wouldn't like the movie because it might be a little too much for some people to stomach. The events in this movie are completely unpredictable and might take some people by surprise. For example at the beginning the 2 men, mentioned before (that come out of nowhere) Ask to use a golf club, and they kill the dog. They don't show the killing itself but later on they show the dead body. Stuff like this that might put people off, but the acting is fantastic and the cast is just as fantastic. I think people will enjoy this movie if they're looking for a thrill late at night, with the lights off.


No comments:

Post a Comment