Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Little Rubber Bands!

One thing I find very interesting about today’s technology is that it’s basically bent around the idea of making people even lazier than they already are. Now some people may not view this as a bad thing, because in reality it saves them precious time and energy doing tasks that could plausibly be done by a robot, or a machine. But I personally think that if technology progresses at the rate it’s going (JAPAN) that we will just be left, sitting in a chair, ordering around robots to do everything for us… Where have I heard that before?

Another subject that’s been in the back of my mind is, what exactly defines ones actions to be “moral” or not. I guess you could say that an action is moral if everyone that is involved in the action learns something valuable and can take a life lesson from it. But what about if someone does something wrong, but everyone EXEPT the person, learns a valuable lesson… does that make the person’s actions moral?

Today I was in a grocery store and noticed the lobsters in the tank and I realized that my thoughts on the subject where a lot more depressing than when I was younger. When I was younger I saw the lobsters and thought “Don’t they look silly with those little rubber bands on?” But now I see the lobsters and feel (to some extent) sorry for them. Okay, so they aren’t being abuse like KFC chickens, and they aren’t really being mistreated in any way shape or form, but It’s just sad that they are plopped in a tank with a bunch of other just as confused lobsters, and are picked at, laughed at, and then go deaf by little kid’s tapping on the glass, only to be brought home cooked and served. Do they really deserve it, even if they can’t comprehend any of it?

2 comments:

  1. As a kid growing up on the Cape, I worked in a restaurant kitchen. One of my jobs was to prepare the steamed lobster meals. In other words, I killed lobsters for a living. I did have a few pangs of moral outrage. But what's a minimum wage hack to do? I reassured myself that a lobster does not feel pain like a human, has a very small brain, and is not as attractive as a dog or cat and so I was not personally attached (giving him a name, taking him for a walk, etc.) like I would be to a domestic animal. Still, when I dropped those guys into a stock pot lined with boiling water, they flipped around as if it DID hurt. But, I'll never know. So far I have not been visited by ghosts of lobsters past.

    Great blog, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could imagine I would take the job if i had too. This blog was all theoretical, but I still think that senseless killing, well, inhumane killing is wrong. But I don't nessacarilly think that lobsters being boiled/tanked is too bad. But glad you enjoyed! Hope everything is well with you and liz

    -devin

    ReplyDelete